Wednesday, June 10, 2009

one of THOSE days ...

Ed's BAK journey came to an end this morning. He is home resting now, I am here with him, working from home so I can take him to the doctor around 3:30p. His knee is swollen and is at the point where he can't bend it or move it without pain. He can't drive since it is his right knee, time to play nurse! I don't mind, work has been intense it's nice to work from a quiet house.

Needless to say he is bummed... beyond bummed. But I'm proud of him, he biked more than 250 miles in five days, that my friends is impressive. Later on Ed will have a report on his final day, when he feels up to writing it! He is a trooper and rode through five days of pain and exhaustion and wind and rain (today was the rain). And hopefully later we'll have a report from the doctor on what is going on with his knee. It's all spongy, I want to keep squishing it, but that wouldn't be nice. Although he is sleeping now, he'd never now... it feels so weird, so tempted, maybe just a little squish...

This day has been.... wow. Not only with the Ed thing, but everything has felt like a mess. Just one of those days. You never know when you'll have them. I found out just about an hour ago the university I teach for had sent me the wrong schedule, instead of teaching Thursday nights like I was under the impression I was doing, I had a call today saying a student wanted to talk to me before class tonight. And I was all... wait... W...T....F??! Because I thought I was teaching Thursdays. Oh no, apparently I have to teach Wednesdays from 5:30 - 10p opposed to Thursdays 6:30 - 8:30p, minor difference. This will make going and picking up Ed's bags tonight from a town that is an hour and a half away, when he can't drive, a bit challenging.

On top of that, we live in a house built in 1930, our breaker box was updated sometime in the 70s, it was a bit on the fritz last summer, the breakers would flip occasionally when the A/C was running full force, nothing horrid or immediate. Well that all changed, the last few hot and muggy days have proven too much for our wimpy old school breakers and it will only stay flipped on for about five minutes. Which means... yep.... no AC. At least it is overcast and rainy today, so all the windows are open, but everything feels damp.

I know things could be worse, so I'm not too bummed out, just feeling a little rushed and overwhelmed. In fact a friend at work is dealing with much worse, a good friend of hers flipped his four-wheeler last night and is very critical condition, things are not looking good at all for this young father, it was a really horrible accident, they aren't hopeful he will make it. So sad.

What a day.




11 comments:

Indi said...

I hope the verdict on the knee is nothing too serious. Hugs on a job well done regardless of the way it ended. nice work!
Hope the est of things fall into place going forward as well. There is always a silver lining...just hard to see at times :-) Love to you both

RunToTheFinish said...

ohh the knee thing is a bummer, it's always empowering to finish but so much better when there is no injury to deal with.

yeah we dont' have the a/c on yet either so the whole damp thing...I feel ya

californiameaghan said...

i know i live far away. i wish i could come help you! what class are you teaching?

Rookie on the Run said...

I'm sorry that Ed's knee is so bad. I hope the doctor visit is helpful and hopeful!

How cool that you get to work from home when you have to! I'm sure your hubby appreciates you being home.

I hope things start to get easier for you!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

yikes, sorry to hear about the day you're having and hope Ed's knee isn't too bad! take care of him (minimal squishing would probably be best, even if he is sleeping...), and keep us posted

Ashley said...

:( HUGS to you both!

I think Ed is a champ for kicking @$$ through 5 days of brutal cycling - that is no easy feat & he should be very proud of himself!

As for school...how lucky are you that that student called you?? Otherwise, you wouldn't have even known to show up last night! Craziness!! You tell that place that they need to get their sheet together.

Sorry you're having a bummer day...hope things look up soon!

Marlene said...

Sorry about the crappy day. :\

I hope the doc can shed some light on Ed's knee and get him fixed up soon. Good luck!

X-Country2 said...

The knee thing is such a bummer. But yes, 250 miles over any number of days is a huge accomplishment. Hopefully he heals up soon.

Irish Cream said...

Oh no, poor Ed! I hope the doc is able to help (and you are able to resist from squishing!)! Take good care of him! :)

As for the rest of that crap--wow, some days just suck, don't they? I hope you're able to get it all worked out! Hang in there.

aNd! said...

Hope your today is a little better.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed his blog SO MUCH on the days he was on the ride. My son is doing it and it was great to hear what was going on. Hope Ed gets a good report on his knee and will try again next year!