Monday, April 26, 2010

the okc marathon.

Well. Marathon number two was... something. I told The Lawyer last week that one thing we can be sure of is that it will be an experience we will always remember. That is ringing true, and a pretty darn good call if I do say so myself!

I was a DNF at the 2010 OKC Memorial Marathon. And you better believe the only reason I was a DNF is because the EMT's wouldn't let me pick up my IV bag and go the last 1.5 miles I had left to run before my body shut me down. Silly EMTs. They also clearly ignored my request to just wheel me in the stretcher the next 1.5 miles. I was all (through my sobs), "come on guys, you're in great shape, you can do it..." as they simply smiled and continued shoving my stretcher into an ambulance.

I have a lot to share, and am still recovering. So as the week wears on I'll share the entire race story, it's a good one. You didn't think I'd have a marathon story that wasn't did you?! For now I am doing fine, resting at home. What took me down was a bad case of leg cramps (calves, hamstrings and quads, with the calves being the shining star of evil, natch) that started at mile 13.1 and finally (and literally) took me down at 24.7 thanks to who knows what. The best assumption of the three doctors and multiple nurses and physical therapists who worked on me was severe dehydration and lack of nutrients all combined with the elements.

What I do know is that when I made it to the medical tent and was sobbing and in a lot of pain, I was still so much better off than the runners in the beds around me. For that I am grateful. The circumstances and placement of where I went down were truly divine in my opinion. There were EMTs and police and volunteers at my side within a minute. The medical care I received was far superior to any I have ever had in my life, they know what they are doing in OKC! This truly is a spectacularly put together race.

So in the end, no redemption. That marathon will forever be... THAT marathon. But as my good buddy Lea pointed out to me yesterday. You have to go big or go home. And I have to say, staying true to my form, I went out pretty stinking big!

Stay tuned. And congratulations are in order to my amazing friend The Lawyer who finished marathon number two and got herself a PR while she was at it! And to Indi who ran her first Half Marathon (welcome to the club my dear friend) and to Ashley who went and nabbed herself a PR during the Half as well.

26 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

Holy crap! I am glad you are ok and can't wait to hear the whole story! Calf cramps are the worst!!! :( Rest up darling!

chris mcpeake said...

Sorry about your DNF. Glad you are okay tho.

Questionably Texan said...

Wow, wasn't expecting a race story like that! Glad you're ok and resting back up.

teacherwoman said...

OMG girl! What in the world! Glad to hear you are doing okay!

Marlene said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! NOT what I expected to hear.

Take care of yourself and fill us in when you can.

californiameaghan said...

you totally make me laugh and cry at the same time!

good on you for getting out there and running the marathon and one day i know you'll DO IT!

glad youre ok - your tweet made me nervous with the emts etc.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your DNF...but I am happy to hear you are okay.

Irene said...

Thank goodness for those EMTs. You're one tough lady, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to the whole story.

Take care.

Valerie said...

Had lunch with the Worm yesterday and she told me about you. You are very lucky, as you mentioned, and it could have been much worse. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and I know you'll get your OKC redemption next year!

Indi said...

You will rise from this and be better and stronger for this! You are a totally tough and you'll have redemption when you are ready!!

Felice Devine said...

Yikes! Hope you're OK!

Unknown said...

There will be another race on another day. For now you need to get 100% well.

Carolina John said...

and here I thought your marathon story was going to suck. Geez.

i've been to the ER with severe dehydration and heat exhaustion after a marathon. It's no picnic. Sorry it happened to you.

Unknown said...

OMW. I am soooo sorry buddy... Hugs and love

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you did not complete your mission but it was a mighty effort.

J said...

Sorry to hear about the DNF but glad you are ok now! That is super scary.

Anonymous said...

I marvel at your training; all that cold weather. Here in Alabama I don't run if it is below 50 degrees. I know you will succeed in Chicago.

d.a.r. said...

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry!! Hope you are okay! Get some rest.

Ace said...

Oh dang. Sorry to hear that!

Your friend is right though, if you don't toe the line you have no chance to finish, or experience the adventure, or have an amazing story to tell! Kudos to you for giving it your all.

Hannah said...

I know I am just now commenting, but have been thinking of you nonstop! Love you, my little badass friend!

Lindsay said...

what?!? glad you are ok - sure sounds crazy. too bad they weren't willing to push you in on the stretcher, lol. seriously - glad you are ok.

RunToTheFinish said...

ohhhh I am so sorry to hear this! I wish I could have been there, I would have carried your IV bag. Ok, share the story so we can all learn something

X-Country2 said...

OMG! Wow. I'm happy you're okay. Take care of yourself.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

TOTALLY reminds me of my marathon experience exactly one year ago today, where my son brought me my Mother's Day roses in the med tent, after reaching mile 22, unable to finish, also because of my calf. Hope you're recovering well, take care.

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience in Boston 2010. It was my ninth marathon, and my second Boston. The EMT's came and got me shortly after the 25 mile mark. I wasn't undertrained or inexperienced. They wouldn't drive the ambulance across the finish line. I don't know if I am allowed to wear the t-shirt, hat, and jacket from 2010 since I didn't finish the race.

arabic search said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article