Saturday, June 6, 2009

storm the dam trail 1/2 marathon...

Two words. Brutal. Awesome.

As hard as this race was, I actually really liked it. I sure didn't break any records, but I keep reminding myself it was my first trail race! It was challenging but I wasn't as fast as I was secretly hoping.

I think I like me some trail running. Not to do all the time, but every now and then I might hunt a trail race down. Plus I like finding a new way to run. I had never done a trail race before, I didn't know what to expect. Some of it was much harder than I thought, some of it ended up being easier.

Here is my report:
  • 13.1 miles on a hilly, horse hoof HOLES, muddy, rocky, crevassed (yeah i know that isn't a word), wooded, windy, hot, humid, narrow, grassy, dirt trail course.
  • Time = 2:18:29, I wanted to finish in under 2:30 so I'm happy and proud of myself.
  • Official race stats aren't out, but I THINK I finished 88th, not sure on that. I have no idea how many people ran the 1/2. I heard it was around 225 total (there was also a 5K).
  • It was fun and new and felt adventurous
  • The wind was horrid, almost OKC marathon horrid, but we were sheltered from it every now and then.
  • Running through the woods on a narrow trail alone after 12 miles is hard.
  • I wasn't fast, but I'm proud of myself for finishing in the time I did... part of me wants to be hard on myself, but what's new. I'm trying to remember that it was a HARD race, and again that I never ran a trail before.
  • I itch.
  • I'm irritated Ed isn't here to check me for ticks, I hate them and get a bit freaked over those evil little blood suckers. I threw up a little in my mouth just typing that.
  • I have scrapes and an almost blister.
  • I got muddy and I liked it.
  • I started off at the back of the pack and am proud to say after mile six or seven I started picking off other runners left and right. It made me feel like staying conservative at the start and being careful through the tricky parts paid off.
  • I just kept telling myself to keep steady, no sprinting to catch and pass runners, just steady passing, that is a good feeling.
  • I felt stronger than any other half (even though i was oddly slower) I ran before.
  • I only got four hours sleep last night, not by choice, just couldn't fall asleep (what is up with my bad night before race sleeping habits, grrrrrrr).
  • I now feel like a hard core runner!

When I post pictures later this week (ed has our camera on BAK, so i have to wait for the girls to send me pics) I'll explain more about the race so you can see the terrain.

I'm going to be posting Ed's BAK stats every day, so keep an eye out!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

it SOUNDS fun and adventurous. GOOD JOB! :-)

X-Country2 said...

That's SUPER hard core! Great job!

RunningLaur said...

Congratulations! You are super hard core!!! Can't wait to see pictures!

californiameaghan said...

i am so incredibly proud of you for so many reasons!
1. as you may know i had my first tick run in while we were in kansas (although i didnt find it until we were back in la for 2 days!) and now i am really really paraniod.

2. trail running (and this trail in particular) sounds HARD but you did it and made your goal! yay you!

3. i was thinking about you today and told my mom ed started his bike ride and you had a race today. she wants his stats and so do i. go ed!

Rookie on the Run said...

Sounds like a fun race! Awesome job on your time. I love running on trails but am scared to do a trail race. After reading your post, I may have to give it a shot one of these days!

Congratulations!

Irish Cream said...

I am so ridiculously impressed by this, you have no idea! I wanted to run this trail half in upstate NY last year, but was TERRIFIED. I finally forced myself to sign up, and then tore a ligament in my knee playing soccer . . . and I'm such a wimp, I was actually relieved and told myself that maybe I'm just not meant to run trail races (brilliant). But after reading this, you make me want to give it another try!

Great job! You are officially badass!

chris mcpeake said...

Congrats on running your first trail race. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Really good time for your first race.

J said...

that is great that you did the race and completed it in such a great time! Way to go! can't wait to see the pictures! You are a hard core runner!!

Marlene said...

Time to play catch-up here because I missed some posts over the weekend.

Congratulations!!! I have limited trail running experience, but it is TOUGH. You ran a strong race. Can't wait for those pics.

Mizunomark said...

That Dam run is pretty tough!! Congrats on destroying the course... along with carrying your friendly tick the whole way. I suggest if you want to look into more trail runs check out www.psychowyco.com. This is a group that I have had many fun trail experiences with.

thequestfor135 said...

Outstanding! Running trails is hard, I hate getting off the treadmill. Hope you are feeling well now that it is behind you.

Aron said...

awesome job girl!!! trail running is hard and scary, which is why i havent been brave enough to go yet :) you did amazing!!!!