Wednesday, January 7, 2009

marathon training has officially begun...

This week marks the start of my marathon training, 15.5 weeks to 'M' day. I trained for two marathons in the past only to get injured at some point during training, it's been one of the most frustrating aspects of my life. So much so that I became the demon child who's head would spin round and round and round and spew filth and vomit at anything who walked her way. This time around I'm going to take it easy, only up my mileage 10% per week, do some speedwork, and go easy on myself if I'm not as fast as I'd like and of course try to refrain from spewing pure evil.

I'm a little nervous though, training officially started Monday, and just tonight I did Monday's run. On Monday I had to do my long run that I didn't manage to do this past weekend. I don't know that it's the best way to kick off training, but I'm catching up and will still start week two next Monday, right on schedule. Ed and I ran three tonight, it wasn't fast but we ran up as many hills as we could in our neighborhood, of course these "hills" are just baby slopes, but it's better than nothing. Plus my body is so sore from weights and yoga I can't even move without hurting, it was a nice calming easy run. The good news is that I have already reached my yoga goal for the week, and only have one more day of weights to meet my weight training goal for the week, so in that regard I'm doing well.

As a treat to kick off marathon training I ordered my Road ID today (a christmas gift from fellow runner kristen) and am scheduling a massage for sometime in the next week. The massage (a christmas party prize i won at work) is more for my aching muscles, I think I torqued something skiing, I figure it will get my muscles all worked out for the weeks to come. Also, in hopes of making it to marathon day, I have reserved my hotel in Oklahoma City.

So here's to praying my guts out that the third time really is the charm!

No comments: