Wednesday, August 11, 2010

9 weeks to chicago. and knocked down.

I got knocked down last week, big time. I ran less last week than I have since early May. Last Monday night the inklings of exhaustion and sinus issues settled in. By Wednesday it had turned into a full blown sinus infection, by Thursday I was so pitiful that I couldn't even take myself to the doctor. I can't remember the last time I was that wiped out and knocked down. My suspicion is that life/work/teaching/training/allergies all caught up to me in the same week.

So remember in my post last week when I told you to hold me to running seven miles even though I didn't feel 100%? To spare myself humiliation? Yeah, I ran five miles. They weren't pretty. I gave up. Of course when I found out the next morning I had a sinus infection I didn't feel so pitiful about the running.

Instead of festering and getting PISSED that I couldn't run, I vented a little, let out my frustration and simply allowed myself to rest. And I won't lie. It was pure bliss. I can honestly say I needed it. I can only go for so long before I need a break. From everything. Yeah I'm one of THOSE.

I ran a whopping 15 miles last week! Most of those miles were either done in near tears or in a dazed and confused state and it was awful. But after a big fat dose of sleep (i think i slept more in four days than i did the entire month of july), rest and medication (that I'm pretty sure was delivered by God himself to my doorstep), I woke up Monday morning after a full week of feeling terrible, hopping out of bed feeling fantastic.

There are still 9 weeks to train. I'll still get three 20 milers in. I'll still surpass my monthly mileage PRs, so I have no worries. I needed a break. I've already run twice this week and I'm feeling great. Sometimes breaks are good. Even during marathon training.

Week 7 - Chicago Training
15 Hazy Miles


I leave you with a picture of my Chicago training buddy Shelley and I doing what we like to call 21st Street Yoga. After our long runs we whip out our towels and plop down in the grass alongside a very busy street to do some yoga. A little pigeon, maybe some downward dog. We are shameless.

9 comments:

Questionably Texan said...

Glad you're feeling better this week. I took a week earlier this cycle and only ran 23 miles (3 days instead of 5). Sometimes we really need a break. In the midst of training, I think we often forget how much we're asking of our bodies. When I complain about being tired or hungry, my wife always reminds me "but you're marathon training right now." It's such a routine now that I forget how demanding it is on my body.

Here's to staying strong for the last 9 weeks of training!

Indi said...

A little rest, especially in the middle of a sinus infection is much needed! Glad you are feeling 110% better:) can't wait to see you soon. Hey and nice on the yoga on the street...we may not have a beach to do yoga on, but damn it...the street corner will work just as fine ;)

Lindsay said...

Nothing wrong with needing a break now and then! At least you are mature enough to acknowledge that you need to rest instead of pushing even harder. "They" do always say - better to miss 1 week of training vs. months/showing up on race day sick/injured.

Hope you are feeling better and getting back on track! Plenty of time, 9 weeks

Marlene said...

Love yoga on the grass on a busy street! After our group long runs, you will often find several of us in various poses on the curb.

Glad you gave yourself the rest you needed! Have a great week. Maybe being sick was a blessing in disguise.

Anonymous said...

Puh-lease sista, I have been running like 5-7 miles a week. Pathetic! You're a rock star and you are going to be awesome!!!

Unknown said...

When you need a break, you need a break. That's all there is to it.

You'll be back on track soon.

Ace said...

Don't stop getting back up! You will get there! The end is in sight! Breaks are nice....

Irene said...

Some weeks are like that. Mine was last week. I'm glad to know you're feeling better. You'll be back in true form soon. Take care!

Jessica@tastyandtrim said...

I am so glad that I found your blog! I just signed up for my first 5k and reading about all of the races you gave completed is so inspiring! I look forward to following you :)