Tuesday, January 27, 2009

cramping my style...

The other night, randomly, while sitting on my couch I sat straight up in terror scaring the living poo out of my poor dog, because I realized some of the upcoming races I want to do between now and April might have to be nixed from my schedule. I forgot to consider my teaching schedule when picking races all nimbly bimbly! This means I'm out for the Super Bowl 4-miler on Sunday. I also realized this means the students in my class are going to try and fly through their final in order to get to what I'm sure is their vitally important super bowl parties. I care as much about football as an 80-year-old cares about going clubbing. The race was going to be my super bowl highlight!

I guess when it comes to life there is give and take, when working toward one goal, sometimes another goal has to suffer. This is something I'm finding during the busy time in my life. Because I'm pursuing my dream and goal of becoming a college instructor, running races (which I love to do, any length) is going to suffer. In order to pursue my goal and dream of running my first marathon and eventually qualifying for Boston my goal to become a yoga instructor is going to suffer. It's the domino effect. But I'm okay with that, I've learned over the last two years to be patient and know that if it's meant to be, it will happen.

These are the choices we make in our life path though, right? I think I'll know inside me when the right time is to taper out of one goal in order to meet another. I'm feeling that now in fact, it's time to focus on teaching college and running a marathon, travel and babies will come later, one step and one dream and one goal at a time. Because within those, it's vitally important I maintain a strong relationship with my husband, God and those I love the most. And I'm at total peace with it. These dreams and goals have been handed over to God, they are in excellent hands.

So good luck to all you Super Bowl 4-miler racers in Wichita, I'll be sitting in a classroom while you are out running the race. I'm a teensy bit envious.





4 comments:

running man said...

I'm not running either and could careless about the Superbowl..believe it or not...Just too much going on with the Marathon training and Soreness and slight injuries and such...keep your eyes on your goal and don't let things distract you from your goals..then change your goals when the time comes for new ones....runningman35.

The Gibsons said...

uuuuuggggghhhh, the pain of having to CHOOSE. it's tough, and is definitely felt in the pit of your stomach similar to the stomach bug, but in the end, at least you realize that you CAN do it all...just not all at once. the day i had to give up my 12 miles for a last minute conference call was a sad one, but then again, running doesn't give me an income. i feel your pain. and i'm running with a massive head cold today (shhh...don't tell anyone...) hey, at least the title "cramping my style" didn't have anything to do with getting cramps...that's a good thing, right? right?

Oz Runner said...

I thought about doing the Super Bowl run, but I'm not really feeling it right now....way to have your goals and priorities in line..

IzzyBubbles said...

I may be out for the race, too, if I'm still sick. :( We each need two of us, so that we can do everything we want to do all at once.