Thursday, January 13, 2011

14 weeks to oz. mostly a success. so far.

Fourteen weeks to my next marathon and the first two weeks of training were a total and utter fail. Therefore I'm going to pretend they didn't really happen and act like I WANTED to train for just 14 weeks instead of 16 for the Oz M. All of this means, granted I survive the brutal half marathon I'm running Saturday, that week one (we'll use that term loosely) of 'm' training was a success. Hill-work, speed-work, all of it. Pain free.

My training plan is complete after quite a bit of effort, and I'm very satisfied with it. It's more intense than any other 'm' training plan I've done so far, but I feel ready for it. If it starts to make me hurt too much, I'll back off. But to reach my goal I'm going to have to endure speedwork and hill training for this cycle, and hope my body handles it sans injury. Since I have a pacer and a coach I feel confident in putting it all out there for the Oz. That way if something goes wrong, I can totally blame him. And I will absolutely blame him.

That's what pacers are for. Blaming.

Therefore, my goal: 3:55.

Wish me luck blahgesphere, it's an ambitious plan for this girl. But after running the Gobbler Grind half, I have the confidence I need to finally go and attempt to 'race' a marathon.

Week 1 Training
Monday = 4 Miles, 'Hills' on the TM
Tuesday = 4 Miles
Wednesday = 6 Miles Tempo, 4 @ 8:34
Saturday = Hopefully finishing 13.1 in the Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon

This brings me to my last point. Running the Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon on Saturday, to which I've gotten many ridiculous looks and the big question WHY from my running buddies (none of whom are joining me. RUDE). Well, because back in the day, when I was just starting to run and I lived in Topeka, I was going to run this race. Then three weeks before the race, I had a little nugget of fun pop up called an appendectomy. So you know... that sort of stopped me. I haven't had the chance to run it since then.

Opportunity seized. Despite a forecast of cold temps, streets and gravel roads that will be covered in a mix of ice/snow/slush on a brutally hilly course, I'm in. Yep. I'm considering this a challenge. Thanks to the weather and road conditions I've bid farewell to any time goal and I'm just going to hope I don't hurt myself slipping down an icy hill. I am NOT a coordinated human being. This could be tricky. I take that back. This will be UGLY. However, I'm not sure any race could get much worse than the El Dorado Trail Half Marathon. Really, I've got nothing to lose. Clearly I have a problem with choosing the worst possible races available. But between that trail half and the OKC 'm' last year, my dignity has obviously seen it's prime.

Plus it's the only half marathon in this area for months to come. Don't you worry, I'm sure I'll have quite a bit of fodder to share on this little gem over the weekend. So then, there's that to look forward to...

16 comments:

Katie said...

MY running partner is doing Topeka to Auburn as well! I wish I could, but I am coming off an injury. And the snow is not helping marathon training either and mine is March 6! Yikes. Darn snow in MO is making running next to near impossible as you know living across the border.

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

Those first 2 weeks on the training schedule are waaaay overrated anyway. Good luck in Topeka (can't imagine why no one would run with you)

Indi said...

You are going to finish and I deem no more injuries!! Glad you screwed the shoes. I'm hoping for sunny skies and clean streets for you! Sorry i can't be there!

Questionably Texan said...

16 weeks, 14 weeks, what's the difference really?
Enjoy the Topeka-Auburn. It looks like it will at least get close to 30F for you.

Unknown said...

you're off to a great start. best wishes!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I am NOT a coordinated human being....HEHEHEHE that is why I love you, I am soooo not coordinated.

14 weeks is plenty of time!! You will be Merry in the land of Oz.

Hugs to Ambitious Goals and ROCKIN the Hills to get there..

Marlene said...

What's the point ofhaving a goal if it's not ambitious? Love it!

Good luck at the half!!!

Miranda said...

Good luck this weekend, I am planning to run the 1/2 at the Oz, it will be my first 1/2 ever, and my first two weeks of training have been riddled with illness, and I am still not up and running yet, so it might be a painful experience for me!

Lindsay said...

i hope the weather this weekend is 'fair' for your race! :)

my trianing plans typically go from "18" weeks to 4...

Aron said...

you are going to do great!!!! so excited for you :)

Unknown said...

Good luck with your training. You know you only wanted a 14-week plan anyway, right? ;-)

Angie said...

Hi! I'm from Overland Park, KS and just saw you are running OZ! I was hoping to run the half there, but I think it might be the same weekend as the Trolley run with I LOVE! Just wanted to wish you luck from a fellow KC area blogger! :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Hope you had a great half, and looking so forward to following your marathon training, as I'll be a few weeks behind you!

Mark said...

Haven't you heard? 14 is the new 16. Duh. No worries there. Plus, the Topeka to Auburn is like two weeks worth of training condensed into one day, so you're set.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I tagged you in my post today..

You are super stylish :)

Carlee said...

Absolutely looking forward to hearing this race report! So impressed at running a race in snow and sleet! I'm a baby when it comes to that mess, I'm already worried about today's post-storm run...