Friday, March 27, 2009

my friday photo...

This is for Nikemom's Friday Foto. This is a picture of Kristen the running lawyer and I after the River Run 10K last May. The River Run is the largest race in Wichita with about 7,000 participants (I think) .


This particular race holds a lot of sentimental value for me. The race takes place during Wichita's River Festival every May. There is a 2-miler and a 10K. I have been participating in this race since I was a kid. I don't remember at what age I first did the River Run, but I know it was with my Dad. My Dad is actually the one who got me started running! There are many years when he and I would get up early, hit up Quik Trip for some caffeine and breakfast and go and run the race.

One year I ran it with my sister after zero training, we followed one of the chanting Army Guard groups and they kept us on pace, it was a blast. Another year my entire family (I come from a big family of four kids), plus some cousins and my aunt and uncle did the race as well. I couldn't find the picture in time to post it this morning, maybe that will be fore next week!

I have done the 10K three times, and I PR every year. Last year I had a time of 50:01 (according to my watch, they don't have timing chips so my recorded time was a few seconds longer) after virtually no training. I ran maybe one 6 miler before the race, and had a very late night the night before, so that was encouraging. I look forward to doing this race this year, just a few weeks after the marathon, hoping for another PR!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the picture - B&W in the background and color in the front - very nice.

Wow - and good job on that race last year. Here's wishing you a new PR this year!!

T-Bone said...

Please to explain meaning of "PR"?

J said...

I love that picture. My friend knows how to make the background Black and white and keep some color. I wish i knew how to do that! Sounds like a great race!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Great picture! have a great weekend :)

Aron said...

great pic!!!! you will def get a new PR this year :)

RunningLaur said...

Love the photo!

Your info is added to Hooray Spring, sorry for missing you!