Monday, November 16, 2009

about chicago.

There are 10 very important things I learned while I was in Chicago last month:

1. I only like hot dogs if they are consumed in Chicago or at baseball games. Gene and Jude's in Chi-Town had the tastiest hot dog I have ever had. Hands down.

2. Local Chicago breweries are fun, informational, and have incredible tasting beer. Just YUM. And are even more fun with cousins!
3. Volunteering at a marathon is just plain incredible. It was a great experience. Plus I almost peed my pants when I saw the elites, it was verging on ridiculous how excited I got.
4. Being the first 'team' at your aid station to finish setting up your gatorade table is easy work for these cousins. We won t-shirts for it. Yeah, we are just that good. And there had to be at least 25 tables at our aid station.5. Matching is fun. Especially when it's with Chicago Marathon volunteer gear (and winning t-shirts) even if the matching jackets look like we are American Airlines workers.
6. Apparently my sub-conscious does not like heights. Because when stepping out onto the Sears (Willis, whatever) tower ledge I wouldn't let go of the wall, even though I wasn't really scared to do it. I am ridiculous. But I clearly made it out there regardless.

7. I love Michigan Avenue, Millennium Park and basically all things downtown Chicago. I could camp out there for weeks on end, maybe under a bridge somewhere, and be happy
8. I really, really want to run the Chicago Marathon in 2010, I guess we'll just have to see about that one.

9. Running along Michigan Lake was one of the best runs I have ever had in my life ever, ever.
10. I love my cousins, especially when Brian walks sweetly down the street with Edder, precious.

19 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

GREAT LIST!! That run looks amazing. Chicago in 2010 is a GREAT GREAT goal!!

Rookie on the Run said...

You are adorable! Looks like you had a great and fun time! Congrats on winning the T-Shirts.

By the way, just looking at that picture of you out there on the Sears Tower made me feel uneasy. Yes, I have height issues. ;p

Anonymous said...

Wow you got some amazing pictures!! I love the one from Sears Tower!

The Gibsons said...

YAYAYAA, chicago!!!!

we had so much fun with you here....and there's STILL so much more fun to be had!

(i'm a little disappointed the albino didn't make the list. it's understandable, i suppose, but still sad.)

The Gibsons said...

OH! and ps, the date for next year's race is 10/10/10.

i'm ready to sign up. you have a free place to stay. ummmmm......no pressure....

CJ said...

Love your list!! Volunteering does look fun at Chicago and the jackets were sweet!! We LOVE Chicago!! We had a blast having it be our first marathon and plan to be back 2010. You are making me miss Chi-town, I hope to get back there soon. I love that city!!!

CJ

Anonymous said...

This looks like so much fun! I love the pic of you in number 7 ;)

Irish Cream said...

YAY! More Chicago!! This post makes me miss it so much and kinda makes me REALLY want to move back there! I guess all I'll need to discourage that thought, though, is to visit in the dead of winter. Brrrr!

Glad you had such a fabulous time in my hometown!! LOVE all of the pics! Y'all are too cute!! :)

RunToTheFinish said...

you are teh best volutneer!!! so fun and upbeat

kristen said...

Great pics!! I probably would have had a massive coronary when I saw the elites. How awesome!

tiffany said...

you deserved such a good time! 2010 is a must!!! love ya!

Marlene said...

This post makes me want to go to Chicago more than I already do!

it must have been INSANE volunteering at a water station for such a huge event. Nice digs!!

Jen Feeny said...

Love all the pics and you just totally made me all schmoopy over Chicago... I am thinking I have to run it again next year for sure! Maybe we will get to meet! I totally tried to look for you but there was just so much going on. :(

californiameaghan said...

clearly you have never had a dodger dog. :)

great idea: you rnu in the chicago marathon in 2010, qualify for boston 2011 and come see me and we can play and i will cheer for you! sounds like a good plan, right?

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Only been to Chicago as a non-runner, but thinking back, seems like a fun city to run in! Great pics, and awesome goal of Chicago Marathon :)

Mark said...

I really MUST visit Chicago someday. Looks like tons o fun. Nice work with the picturepalooza!

Irene said...

Ditto on the run by the lake. It's beautiful!

Glad you had a good time!

Jill said...

Hey...found your blog and enjoyed reading of your journey, thanks!!

I love Chicago and would possibly like to do the marathon in 2010 also... I like the 10.10.10 thingy.

Happy running!

Ashley said...

Um, I suck for just now looking at these...haven't made it to blogger much lately. The pics ROCK, tho! Makes me wanna go to Chi-town really badly!